Author Topic: BC-147 • Easy Songs for Stage 4  (Read 16385 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
BC-147 • Easy Songs for Stage 4
« on: July 15, 2009, 03:14:41 pm »
Lesson Link: http://justinguitar.com/en/BC-147-EasySongs.php

Questions... not requests!!! But you can suggest songs if you know they only use chords that we have done so far!
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

worldidiot

Re: BC-147 • Easy Songs for Stage 4
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 11:14:09 am »
just noticed that "sitting on the dock of the bay", which you put as a song for stage 4, contains D7 and F (which we havent done yet).  should I just substitute in D and FMaj7 instead? ???

anyway love the new beginners course, streets ahead of the old one.  Thanks Justin, I'd donate if i wasn't skint.

Cctje

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 03:11:36 pm »
For people who like to play another easy song, I suggest accidentally in love by counting crows. In the song they only use the chords G, C, D,A, Am and Em. So very easy to play.
Hope you enjoy!

ydew

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 09:27:44 pm »
The song jumper by third eye blind i think is actually also a good song for this lesson because it seems to use Fmaj7 with a switch to C then to G just like you [justin] said in the video is good to practice. In the middle it also has a Am and closer to the end is has another chord, the D9sus2 which is the same as a C but starting in the third fret instead of the first. Anyway, hope this helps and thank you justin very much, its a good site you have put up.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 09:35:40 pm by ydew »

midwest13

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 06:16:24 am »
Another easy song using these chords is Minnesoter by The Dandy Warhols. It is just D C G F (I use Fmaj7 since I can't quite get the big F down yet) through the whole song. Strumming is Down, Down Up for each chord except the F which is Down, Up, Down, Up.

Justin,

I am loving the new lessons, thank you very much!!!

DeM

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 04:08:24 pm »
I have a question about Killing me softly. I have serious problems changing from G to B7, it's very difficult because I'm too slow and my first strum of B7 sounds horrible. However I think that it will be more easy if I play G with the fourth finger in the first string, so I can use it as an anchor when I move to B7. What do you think, is it a good idea?

Linsen

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 06:19:33 pm »
Haven't tried it with that G chord shape, but I'd say, use Justin's advice and let your ears decide: "If it sounds good, it is good"

Either that, or see it as a challenge to improve your chord changing speed.

duster

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 05:23:21 am »
Question about "thumb over the neck" technique. I've played guitar for 3-4 years now, but never really had good fundamentals so decided to start anew with Justin lessons. So far it has been helping a lot; my hand is not flying all over the place, I have much less movement between chords and the chords sound nice and clean. However I could not find anything that Justin says about placing the thumb over the neck. In the beginning courses he mentions that it's good to imagine an "electrical wire" going just under the guitar so that your palm does not touch the guitar or grab it like a stick for the lack of a better analogy. However when I move my thumb over the neck (like the D major with F base for Wish You Were Here), then my palm touches the neck. Should I practice more and make sure there is still space between the neck of the guitar and my hand or what is the best course of action here?

Thank you

Oleg

Offline sapph

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
  • ..o solo mio..
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 12:16:03 am »
If you like(d) the song 'nights in white satin' [moody blues] then I might have some news for you. Sadly this song contains an F and Bb which makes it a bit off.  :-\

Almost the same is 'poor man's moody blues' [barclay james harvest] and it uses G,C,D,Em the whole song through. Go check it out on youtube and google for the chords. Great song,easy enough for everyone.

Enjoy!  ;D
sapphi

oleguer

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 01:03:34 pm »
Watching a video of Noel Gallagher's present tour I realised that he plays Supersonic (acoustically BTW) with open chords placing a capo at the 2nd fret. I play it using barre chords, but this way works too and also it's a good song for this stage because there's the B7 and the rest of the chords are easy. However, it might not sound exactly the same as the recording, especially when playing the D (because in the original the bass note is the low E, and playing a D with a capo makes you play an E bass note but an octave higher) and the change from G to A (because of the top notes). Apart from that it'll sound cool! You can even play those chords 'Wonderwall' style (or Noel's style should I say), leaving 3rd and 4th fingers on the top two strings. And the intro riff is not hard either. Gotta love that tune :)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 04:10:07 pm by oleguer »

Offline jeffbrig

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 03:06:48 pm »
I'll add another song suggestion - Good Riddance by Green Day.  G, C(add9), D, and Em.  Really cool song, pretty fast tempo, and you can practice plucking or strumming (D DU UDU) different verses.  One of my favorites to work on right now.

Okay, one more - All For You by Sister Hazel.  G, C(add9), D, Am, Em.  Same strumming pattern, but the chorus changes G->C or Am->D in each bar.  Tricky at first, but great to learn.

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 03:50:56 pm »
The thumb-over is indeed just practice, with the possible exception of some classical guitars with very wide necks played by someone with very small hands (of course most beginners have very small hands, they usually grow larger with practice ;)).

This is one of those things that seem very difficult to begin with, and later seem ridiculously simple. I struggled with this, too, when I started out, and now I can press down two or three strings (if I had a reason to do so) with the thumb over the neck and still play notes on the other strings with my fingers.

Btw: the "electrical wire" thing is a good trick, but you don't need to take it too literal. The point is not to mute the high e string unless you want to, that's all.

Just keep at it!

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 119
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2012, 12:07:07 am »
If you watch the D A and E chord beginner's lessons he mentions both the electric wire and thumb behind the neck as things to do as beginner but that will change as you progress...

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline ElPerdido

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2016, 05:46:34 pm »
When should I start applying strum patterns to the songs? The lesson pages say that I should still be doing four down strums to a bar at this stage - but it looks like it says that for every stage. I'm practicing the strum patterns (I got the RUST DVD as well) with a metronome just holding the E chord. Sometimes I play with changing to the G or D while in the strum pattern, it seems to be going well.

Yesterday I went ahead and applied the D DUDU D pattern to the two songs I'm working on, Killing Me Softly and Mad World. Am I hurting my progress by doing this? I used a metronome and as far as I could tell I stayed in time. If I really should stick to all down strums, I'll go back to that I'm just wondering when I should switch if it's too early now. It was cool to play something that sounded kind of like a song when it was put together!

Apologies if this question belongs in a different thread.

Offline Shaolindelt

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2016, 06:29:36 pm »
If you can keep the beat with 4 beats per bar and can hit the chord changes with no problems then I'd say you are ready to add new strum patterns to it ... especially if it's applying a pattern you've gotten down already. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BC 2/15, IC - 3/16
Fender Squier Std Strat, 1 MIA, 2 MIM, 2 CV, 1 Epi LP Custom Pro, PRS Angelus SE Acoustic, PRS Silver Sky Nebula
Fender Mustang GT50, Vox AC4TV, VHT Special 6, Fender Blues Jr

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 214
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2016, 06:37:44 pm »
Justin introduces strumming patterns in stage 3 so if you are on or pasted stage 3 and you
mentioned you have RUST DVD I say It's time. Have fun, don't frustrate yourself by trying
to many at once.

Offline ElPerdido

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2016, 07:23:18 pm »
Great, cool. Yeah, I'm finishing stage 4 going on to stage 5 this weekend probably. So, great, I'll do songs with the strum patterns after I get them down with 4 to a bar. Thanks for the help.

Offline Omar

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 61
  • I'm stubborn...so are my guitars...
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2016, 09:32:44 am »
I couldnt find a video lesson of "black - Pearl Jam", the song is in songbook. Didn't Justin record a video for it?

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 135
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2016, 01:20:39 pm »
Omar

Could not see it in the songlist lesson either

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/SB-001-JustinGuitarSongList.php

but here's one by Marty Schwartz I found. Don't know the song but he's not a bad teacher, so may help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAFUUKMAE_E

Toby
 8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline Omar

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 61
  • I'm stubborn...so are my guitars...
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2016, 01:33:21 pm »
Thank you for the heads up, Toby 😎

It's a pity that Justin didn't record a video for that song. It's a very nice song, I'm sure you'll like it; maybe sing it too for your next project ;)

Marty is a good teacher, I like his videos. Justin's version is easier as he uses basic chords, no barre chords at all.

Thank you again 😊

Get The Forum As A Mobile App