Author Topic: BL-021 • Blues Lead Guitar #11 - Position 3 Scales  (Read 9528 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 152
    • justinguitar.com
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 05:42:08 pm by justinguitar »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

KevinHoehn

Re: BL-021 • Blues Lead Guitar #11 - Position 3 Scales
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 12:24:12 am »
How do the CAGED cord shapes listed in the lession titles (In the blues section lessons) relate to the particular position scale? For example: position 3 is listed as the C shape............ Why is this the C shape?

Kevin Hoehn
Gordon WI USA

KevinHoehn

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 06:49:24 pm »
I was some what disappointed that I did not get a responce to my previous question in the forum until I realized: The way I worded it; nobody could really understand what I was asking.

I tried asking it again one night (after a few beers  ::)) on U-Tube in the video comments section and I actually got a reply from Justine.(How cool is that?) I was absolutely thrilled to have my own personal reply from Justine! Unfortunately, his reply was a very polite scolding telling me that questions belonged on the forum and not in the comment section of U-Tube. Oops. lol
Sorry Justine................
So............. I will have another go at it.

How does the standard CAGED cord shapes, which are listed in the lession titles for each of the "Blues Lead Guitar Lesson" series, relate to each of the 5 positions in the minor pentatonic scale?
For example: In the lesson (BL-021 • Blues Lead Guitar #11 - Position 3 Scales); the third pentatonic position is listed as the C shape............ Why is this the C shape and which shapes go with each position?
I would very much love to understand this and would greatly appreciate for somebody more musically informed than I to explain this to me.

Kevin Hoehn
Gordon WI USA
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 06:58:31 pm by KevinHoehn »

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 436
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 07:29:43 pm »
look here
http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BL-012-BluesScales.php

Ignore all the notes marked 4 (meaning fret with 4th finger). Can you nearly see a major chord barre chord shape? What would you have to change to play it? One note only right!
Without the barre it would be an E shape.

Look here
http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BL-016-MinPentPos2.php

Ignore all the notes upto the Root on the D string and the notes marked with a 1 on the top 3 strings. Can you nearly see a major chord shape? What would you have to change to play it? One note only right!
Without those it would be an open D shape.

Look here
http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BL-021-MinPentBluesPos3.php

Ignore some of the notes and change one only ... can you see an open C chord shape?

Look here

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BL-023-MinPentBluesPos4.php
 Again, ignore some of the notes and change one only ... can you see an open A chord?

Look here
http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BL-025-MinPentBluesPos5.php

Ignore some of the barre marked wth 2s and some of positions marked with 3s and change one note only ... can you see a G major shape chord?

The one note only that is being changed is the 3rd of the major scale - in a minor pentatonic it is played flattened as a flat 3 ... so if you move that one note up one semi tone you will have the major chord components 1 -3 -5 sitting within those scale shapes.

Get your guitar - find the root note for G and play a G major chord in each of the 5 open shapes that correspond with the open shapes of C, A, G, E and D.

Do you see where on the fretboard you are? Do you see the 5 scale positions right there under your fingers?

Ta Da!

Hope that helps.

:)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 07:31:24 pm by close2u »

KevinHoehn

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 07:26:40 pm »
Awesome!
Thanks for doing such a great job explaining the relationship between the 5 pentatonic scale positions and the CAGED system for me. I finally clearly understand it now.
You did such a great job explaining it; I think it would be great if the site got Justine to put your explanation up where everybody can get it as some kind of a lesson. A lesson with the exact same text as how you described it here but with the correlating diagrams already next to the text. (Instead of the link to them) I am sure that I can't be the only beginner that didn't get this right off the bat.

I am sure that you have helped me take a giant leap towards being able to finally put the whole guitar thing together and  "play like a rock star" some day. lol

Thank you again for taking the time to simplify this for me.

Sincerely, Kevin

guitar713

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 10:55:10 pm »
A quick question....you know how there is minor pentatonic postion 1, Blues scales postion1......

i dont get why it is "position 1". cant you basically play those scales anywhere on the neck? (wat are the positions)
Same with scales like Minor Pentatonic Position 2...i dont get why its "position 2".

O yh the Dorian Notes Position 1, is that the actual name? because i thought it sounded weird.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 436
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 07:52:50 am »
why is it position 1?

the root note is the 1st note of the scale on the thick / low E string

it's the 1st one you learn

don't worry about it

when you play the position 1 pattern 'anywhere on the neck' the root note (and all the other notes relative to moving) is now different so the scale is now different

Get The Forum As A Mobile App